NYC star who could ignite Dragons’ attack

first_imgOnly the Knights (305) scored fewer points than the Dragons (341) in 2016, with the Red V making it back-to-back seasons as the second-lowest scoring team in the competition following their 435-point haul in 2015.One man who has no problems finding the line is Dufty, who finished his NYC career as the leading try-scorer in the competition’s history with 55 from 65 appearances in the famous red and white jersey.With 23 tries and 22 try assists last season, as well as 11 tries and 18 assists in 2015, Dufty could be the attacking spark the Dragons need to fight their way back into the Telstra Premiership top eight.The Junior Blues fullback – who also earned a spot on the bench in the NYC Team of the Year – forewent several opportunities to play in the Intrust Super Premiership last season to focus on his Holden Cup duties, but said he’d be willing to spend some time in reserve grade to gain some experience against more-seasoned opposition in 2017.While Dufty would love to don the No.1 jersey from the get-go next year, the youngster knows Dugan will get first crack if he chooses to remain at fullback rather than entertain a move to the centres. “The goal is to play NRL next year. I might not start the year there, but hopefully as the year goes on I’ll get a few games,” Dufty told NRL.com.”I had a talk to Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor) about it last year whether he wanted me to play NSW Cup or 20s, and he told me it wouldn’t have really changed what happened next year going forward.”I played 90 per cent of the year in the NYC and I felt I owed it to my teammates to try to get them to that grand final.”Mary talks to me all the time. He gives me lots of feedback. I’m pretty confident that he is going to give me a shot next year.”I’m hoping next year is going to be a big year for me. It really depends on what Mary and Josh Dugan want to do, because he’s really the one person in front of me. He’s a world-class player so it’s really up to Mary and what he wants.”The Penshurst RSL junior is listed at just 80kg – 22kg lighter than Dugan – but doesn’t think his weight would hold him back from making his NRL debut.Where Dugan uses his size to get his side on the front foot, Dufty uses his incredible speed and sleight of hand to trouble opposition defences.”I’m not the biggest guy running around but I find it fun just running around people,” he said.”Mary’s not too fussed about my weight because I just use speed and my skills, but the dietician wants me to put on a few more kilos just to be safe.”Should Dufty bulk up in the off-season, the 20-year-old’s utility value would soar.”Growing up I played in the halves so I wouldn’t mind if Mary gave me a shot wherever and I’d take it with both hands,” he said. “It would mean the world because growing up as a kid – especially in the St George area – you want to make that debut just to make family and friends proud.”last_img read more

Cameron Smith wins Dally M Medal

first_imgJust days away from captaining the Storm in the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final, Smith (33 points) won the prestigious Dally M Medal by a remarkable eight points – following his first win in 2006.His opponent in Sunday’s grand final, North Queensland Cowboys halfback Michael Morgan (25 points), finished runner-up, while St George Illawarra’s Gareth Widdop (24) was third. Sydney Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary and Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks captain Paul Gallen finished equal fourth, on 22 points.Smith was also awarded Captain of the Year honours as well as Hooker of the Year, while his Melbourne teammate Billy Slater won the Fullback of the Year award. Storm coach Craig Bellamy also won Coach of the Year.At a glittering event at The Star Event Centre, the Rookie of the Year award was taken out by Canberra winger Nick Cotric. His fellow Raiders winger Jordan Rapana was crowned Winger of the Year.The prestigious Provan Summons People’s Choice award was won by Parramatta Eels player Clinton Gutherson, while the Dally M Female Player of the Year was Simaima Taufa.Smith’s honour was the first under a revised voting process and structure of the Dally M Awards, including a new voting panel of former players.A number of new awards were handed out, including Interchange Player of the Year (Penrith’s Reagan Campbell-Gillard), Tackle of the Year (Parramatta’s Nathan Brown) and Try of the Year (North Queensland’s Kyle Feldt).The full list of winners is:Captain of the Year: Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)Peter Moore Award for Rookie of the Year: Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)Holden Cup Player of the Year: Jake Clifford (North Queensland Cowboys)Top Points Scorer: Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)Top Try Scorer: Suliasi Vunivalu (Melbourne Storm)Tackle of the Year: Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)Try of the Year: Kyle Feldt (North Queensland Cowboys)Coach of the Year: Craig Bellamy (Melbourne Storm)Peter Frilingos Headline Moment: Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)Provan Summons People’s Choice Medal: Clinton Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)Female Player of the Year: Simaima Taufa (Jillaroos)Fullback of the Year: Billy Slater (Melbourne Storm)Winger of the Year: Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)Centre of the Year: Dylan Walker (Manly Sea Eagles)Five-eighth of the Year: Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons)Halfback of the Year: Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)Lock of the Year: Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)Second-rower of the Year: Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)Prop of the Year: Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)Hooker of the Year: Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)Interchange Player of the Year: Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)Dally M Player of the Year: Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)last_img read more

England beaten by Baabaas

first_imgThe hosts fielded a mixture of regular internationals and young players but the inexperienced line-up was no match for the power of the Barbarians, who ran in nine tries in an entertaining game full of running rugby.Winger Chris Ashton, who has 39 caps for England, grabbed a hat-trick of tries for the Barbarians inside 25 minutes as they crossed the line five times in the first half.Former All Black Victor Vito also scored two tries.Danny Cipriani made his return to the England side for the first time since 2015 for the second half but he couldn’t inspire an England fightback, leaving coach Eddie Jones with much to ponder before the first Test in South Africa on June 9.John Afoa also started for the Barbarians, while fellow former All Blacks Luke McAlister and Malakai Fekitoa came off the bench and they were coached by former Blues mentor Pat Lam.last_img

Over 500 000 Games tickets still available

first_imgOnly 190 000 tickets have been sold so far with swimming and shooting individual passes all sold out.Venue packages for Sir John Guise indoor, Taurama Aquatic Centre, POM Racquet, Shooting and Caritas have also sold out.Good news for those who want to watch the Opening Ceremony, tickets are still on sale but only about 1000 tickets for the outer stand are available while all main grandstand tickets are sold out.A total of 650 000 tickets have gone on sale for the 28 sports to be played at 14 venues for  the 16 days competition.last_img

Nominations open for POM Snooker Open

first_imgPort Moresby Billiards and Snooker Association (POMBSA) President, John Chan said the nomination and registration fee is K150 per player.He said nominations will close on March 21 at 5pm.”We expect 56 players to participate including women and players from other centres like Kavieng, Alotau and Lae,”Chan went on to say the tournament will be held over the Easter weekend.”Briefing and draws will be done on the 24th of March at 5pm at the Lamana Q Club.”This will be followed by the POMBSA AGM and some matches will start straight after the meeting,” said Chan.Chan said the finals will be played on Sunday March 27.”We are awaiting a response from a potential sponsor for the tournament and hopefully will make an announcement next week,” said Chan.All four venues – Lamana Q Club, Laguna Hotel, Aviat Club and Dragons Den will be used to host the event.last_img

Thus Barcelona dismisses Valverde: “In the final part of his second year he had two disappointments …”

first_img“The Club publicly expresses its gratitude to Ernesto Valverde for the professionalism, the commitment, dedication and always positive and close treatment He has always shown all the estates that make up the Barca family, and wishes him luck and success in the future.Ernesto Valverde has led the first team of FC Barcelona in a total of 163 official matches, with a balance of 108 wins (66.25%), 35 draws (21.47%) and 20 losses (12.26%). During this time, he has raised four titles: two leagues, a Copa del Rey and a Spanish Super Cup. After a long wait, the Football Club Barcelona made official the goodbye of Ernesto Valverde as a Barca coach, while they announced Quique Setién as their substitute. In a statement published on the web explains the terms of the termination of the contract that united both parties, which highlights the “two disappointments” experienced last season, the defeat against Liverpool in the Champions League and the one suffered against Valencia in the final cup. The rest of the statement reads as follows: His stage started the summer of 2017, when he took the reins of the first team after four seasons at the helm of Athletic Club. After lose the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid In his premiere as coach Culé, he was able to drive to Barça until the League and Cup double – won against Sevilla in the Wanda Metropolitano – while in the Champions League the team fell in the quarterfinals against AS Roma.163 games as coach culéDuring its second year, FC Barcelona won the Spanish Super Cup played in Tangier against Sevilla and also the league title, achieved mathematically against Levante in the Camp Nou. The final leg of the course had two disappointments: the elimination against Liverpool in the semifinals of the Champions League and the defeat in the Cup final played in Seville against Valencia.In this 2019/20 season, Barça has closed the first round as leader of the League competition – tied to points with Real Madrid – and qualified for the round of 16 in the Champions League, while last week the team fell in the semifinals of the Spanish Super Cup against Atlético de Madrid “.last_img read more

“France? The FEF will be with the Administration and with what it decides for Spain”

first_imgThe President of the Federation also gave his opinion on the decision of France to suspend his league championship, but said that Spain will follow its own path. “The matter of the pandemic is so important that it is time for the maximum prudence. We will be together with our Administration, whatever the path that is drawn”Luis Rubiales told this newspaper.Anyway, the idea that maintains the RFEF is to finish the League Championship. It is the agreement that Luis Rubiales himself, Javier Tebas and the Secretary of State for Sport, Irene Lozano, reached in the so-called Viana Pact. The idea of ​​the RFEF is that the League can end during the months of June and July if there are full health guarantees and it is authorized by the Government of the nation. For the Federation, as Rubiales already said, “the first thing is the health of the players and of all the players in football”, but maintains his idea of ​​finishing the professional competitions according to the agreement reached. Of course, Rubiales makes it clear that it will have to be with the full authorization of the Government to play behind closed doors and in maximum security conditions. If the approval of the Government, the RFEF will not move piece.last_img read more

The moment of Paco León in the purest Isabel Pantoja style in ‘La casa de las flores’

first_imgOn April 23, the third and last season of ‘La casa de las flores’ premiered on Netflix, the successful Mexican comedy drama created by Manolo Caro and starring Cecilia Suárez, Aislinn Derbez, Verónica Castro, David Ostrosky and Paco León, among others. Precisely, the Spanish actor and his sister María León are two of the actors who have managed to gain greater prominence as the story of the well-known De la Mora family and its mythical flower shop progressed.* Contains spoilers *In the final chapter of the last season of the series, we can enjoy the link between the character of Paulina (Cecilia Suárez) and María José (Paco León) who married for the second time in history. Among those attending the celebration we will see the odd well-known face; And it is that Paz Vega, Leticia Dolera and Miguel Bosé have their particular cameo in the final scenes of ‘La casa de las flores’. “Paulina, I am very excited about this wedding. It is our second wedding but this is more important because this is more me“ says a radiant Maria José. Let us remember that in his first marriage, the character of Paco León was still a man under the name of José María.(embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pO-9FGv3A (/ embed) With the third full season available on Netflix, Paco León has taken advantage of his social networks to share a fun moment with all the fans from the Manolo Caro series. In the images we can see how the actor intones the already famous “You’re not going to record me anymore” from tonadillera Isabel Pantoja at the gates of her house in Cantora. “They don’t respect anything. Poor María José running with the flask of the mike on her leg. It is that with that dress everything is marked “, Leon writes on his Instagram profile where he adds more than 1.5 million followers.What do you think of the role of Paco León in ‘La casa de las flores’?last_img read more

Ruiz and the umpteenth lesson of Luis

first_imgMiguel Ángel Ruiz, former player and captain of Atlético, recalled on the website of the Madrid club the final of the Copa del Rey played in 1985 against Athletic Bilbao. Ruiz praised the figure of Luis Aragonés, Atlético coach in that final: “We had the experience of two League Cup finals against Real Madrid and Valladolid. In Copa del Rey we had no experience in this regard, but it was secondary because Luis Aragonés had us aware. We could end the season well. It was a calm tension. The good thing was that it got intensity but always leaving you room, I knew who to push and how far “.Miguel Ángel Ruiz played from 1977 to 1987 in Atlético. In that team there were many players trained in the rojiblanca quarry: Rubio, Quique Ramos, Marina … Ruiz was the captain of that generation of footballers trained at home. He won the aforementioned Copa del Rey in 1985 and the Spanish Super Cup the following season. Later he went to Malaga. The rojiblanco captain continued talking about the final cup: “In these games special work is done in the week and there is no more pressure on the previous one, because you already know what is being played. Luis put us on the board and spoke slightly about the rival but said that what is important is what you are going to do on the field and he explained to us. We knew Athletic very well, we were very good at it and we were very prepared for that game. “ Ruiz admitted that it was “a very important moment in his career, for all that generation of the club, that we came in droves from the branch. In that final seven footballers were from the quarry. We had been at the club for about eight years without winning a title. In that season we had been on the verge of winning the League against Barcelona and we had lost the final of the League Cup against Real Madrid. It was a game that we could not escape “Ruiz added in the video that Atlético broadcast.last_img read more

Former CONCACAF boss to be sentenced next June

first_imgGEORGETOWN, Cayman Islands (CMC): Disgraced former CONCACAF president, Jeff Webb, is set to be sentenced in June next year, after recently pleading guilty to corruption charges in the United States. World Football Insider has reported that Caymanian Webb, who headed the continental governing body for football in North, Central American and the Caribbean, will be sentenced on June 3. Webb recently pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, three counts of wire fraud conspiracy and three counts of money-laundering conspiracy, charges levelled by United States prosecutors. According to the US Depart-ment of Justice, Webb agreed to forfeit US$6.7 million as part of his plea. A former FIFA vice-president and Executive Committee member, Webb was one of several football officials who was arrested in a pre-dawn raid by Swiss police and subsequently indicted as part of an elaborate racketeering and corruption schemed alleged by the US Department of Justice. He was extradited to the US to face the charges where he pleaded not guilty and was placed on US$10 million bond. The former Cayman Islands Football Association president is currently under house arrest at his home in Atlanta.last_img read more